CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

PEANUTS!


Yesterday we took the girls in for their 5 year check up. I can't believe they are 5!!! When did that happen? So, It takes several hours for all three to get their check up so R & J went before lunch then N had her appointment after lunch. I take her in the room. She is drawing a picture of her family when Dr. L walks in and begins his exam. He tells N that she smells so good and nuzzles her neck. She is all smiles and just love Dr. L. We are chatting while he checks her ears, eyes and throat. When he steps away I asked him what he had put in her mouth. He told me just the tongue depressor. I said well what is causing the allergic reaction? He looks and was like I have no idea. N had hives at the corner of her mouth and going down her neck. Dr. L's was like she needs some benadryl. I said I had some and got it out.


I asked him, " Did you by chance eat any peanuts for lunch today?"


He replied, "Why yes I did...you know those cheese crackers with peanut butter." "But I washed my hands and brushed my teeth!


"You know N is very allergic to peanuts! Right?"


"Yes, but I don't understand I have brushed my teeth and washed my hands several time?!?!?"


" I know but that does not always work. If you have crumbs on your shirt or miss a spot when washing you can contaminate with the allergen."


"Lord have mercy! I feel awful. I'm putting all of this in her chart. How much benadryl are you giving her? Is it liquid?"


"12.5 mgs and it's a Fast Melt Strip they work so much faster than liquid."


"I'm writing all of this in her chart..."


Needless to say Dr. L was very upset. He knew it could've been really bad (her reaction) but thankfully it was mild. The benadryl works fast and in a few minutes the hives were going away.


So, He walks out of the room and hear him telling the RN's what happened. He was so upset. Then he walks back into the room and shows me that he had been snacking on peanut butter cereal at his desk before seeing N. It never crossed his mind that the cereal was PB. So, even though he had brushed his teeth and washed his hands he had eaten PB before coming into the room. He washed his hands in the room but it did not take care of the PB that was on his face. When he nuzzled her neck he passed the allergen to her.


Did she eat a peanut...NO! Did she touch a peanut....NO! All it takes is someone eating or touching a peanut/ peanut product and her coming into contact with them or what they touch.


I hear people say all the time that they know so and so that's allergic to peanut butter. Well, it's not just peanut butter. It's ANYTHING made WITH or NEAR a peanut! It's not so simple to say well we just won't let her eat a peanut/ peanut product. We have to protect her from everyone else eating a peanut/ peanut product and all they touch.


Do we think peanuts should be banned from the earth. NO but it would help if others understood what it means to have a peanut allergy.


We read every label! If is says, May Contain Peanuts / Contains Peanuts / Processes on Machinery with Peanuts we don't buy it and she can't have it. We don't even let J or R have it...Why....Because they could eat it them touch her.


If you want to learn more about food allergies go here to FAAN.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Make sure you let her SS teachers and Noah's park teachers know not to eat PB or peanut products before church. I am so terrified someone won't know and end up giving her a reaction. We commonly have PB/raisin toast for breakfast but not on Sundays as I know Tori will be playing with N at Noah's Park and outside.

Glad it wasn't worse.

Ashlee