CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Scarlett & Rhett


Ok, So I got lost again. It's not too hard for me if its a good book.

Scarlett was like reading Margaret Mitchell. I could not tell the author was a different woman. She did a great job. She picked up right were Mitchell left off. It was a perfect sequel. I will have to say that the last few chapters dragged a bit but the ending was worth it.

Rhett....What can I say. I love and hated this book. It starts with Rhett's childhood. You don't even meet Scarlett till the middle of the book. I first expected it to be about Rhett and Scarlett but it's not in the least. It's about Rhett and why he was the way he was. (profound I know. lol) Once I was over the shock that Scarlett was not the center of this book I really enjoyed it. You find out who Belle Watling is to Rhett, The whole story behind Rhett's imprisonment for killing the black man, Where Scarlett got the yellow sash to give to Ashley and a few more twist. Now, Rhett Butler's People has a different ending than Scarlett. I liked Rhett's ending better. His book is not really a sequel. You could read it without ever reading Gone With The Wind although I'm not sure why you would want to. :) It follows Mitchell's story with only a few side tracks. You can tell it's written by a man due to the amount of detail difference in his writing style and Mitchell's. It was a refreshing and flabbergasting read!

All in all if you have never read Gone with the Wind, Scarlett or Rhett Butler's People...What are you waiting for. Take a trip into the deep south and enjoy the ride.

Thanks Sue for the books! One of the best graduation gifts a book lover could want!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have read my paperback copy of Scarlet so many times it fell apart. Luckily I found a hardback copy at a consignment shop for 2 bucks!!!! Now I can read on as many times as I want.

Ashlee

cottage girl said...

I've never heard of Rhett Butler's People. I LOVE Gone with the Wind and Scarlett. Thanks for the suggestion.